Happiness has various effects on our health and wellness, especially regarding stress and anxiety management. Serotonin, Dopamine, endorphins, and Oxytocin are the four main happiness chemicals.
Serotonin is a chemical said to be a neurotransmitter that mediates satisfaction, comfort, happiness, and optimism.
On the other hand, Dopamine is a neurotransmitter produced by your body, and your nervous system uses it to send messages between nerve cells. So for that reason, it’s referring to “chemical messenger.” Dopamine also impacts how we experience pleasure and bliss. It is also an essential aspect of our uniquely human ability to think and plan.
While Endorphins are peptides produced by your pituitary gland and central nervous system that serve on the opiate receptors in your brain, these neurotransmitters (also identified as hormones) boost feelings of pleasure and well-being while reducing pain and distress.
A hormone and neurotransmitter that is linked to childbirth and breastfeeding would be Oxytocin. It is also connected to empathy, trust, confidence, sexual activity, and nurturing relationships. Because oxytocin levels rise during hugging and orgasm, it is called the “love hormone.”
How can we induce these Happiness Chemicals within us?
How to Hack Happiness Chemicals
Helpful Reads: 10 Ways to Attract Happiness at Work, 5 Ways to Achieve Happiness, How to Forgive Someone Who Owes You Money, 6 Ways to Support Your Mental Health Online
The Mood Stabilizer: Serotonin
- Mediating – 15 minutes a day will be a big help, especially after a long day.
- Exercising – 15-30 minutes a day of your preferred workout can help you invite happy hormones.
- Sun Exposure – my OB always advises sunbathing between 10 AM to 3 PM, a maximum of 15 to 30 minutes. She said that’s the time when the sun brings UV lights that can be beneficial to us.
- Walk-in nature – one of my favorite activities!
- Swimming – this is great when you’re nearby the waters, especially on the beach.
- Cycling – is also a great exercise and can help you boost happy hormones.
The Reward Chemical: Dopamine
- Completing a task – small or big task counts, celebrate the process you have gone through once you have completed the task.
- Doing self-care activities – check out these excellent 22 Smart Self-Care Tips.
- Eating your favorite food – check out some of these home cooking ideas.
- Celebrating little wins – rewarding yourself or giving yourself a small treat after a win is a great way to boost happy hormones!
The Pain Killer: Endorphin
- Laughter exercise – as the saying goes, laughter is the best medicine.
- Essential oils – are great, especially for massage sessions.
- Watching comedy – you can watch a stand-up comedy or some furry pets on social media just like I do.
- Dark chocolate – are also healthy for our bodies because they have lesser sugar compared to milk chocolates. In addition, it’s a great source of minerals and antioxidants.
- Exercising like yoga, stretching, breathing exercises can help induce happy hormones!
The Love Hormone: Oxytocin
- Playing with a baby
- Playing with a pets
- Holding hands with your partner
- Hugging your family and friends
- Giving compliments
Inducing happiness chemicals does not have to be fancy or expensive. Simpler moments and a proper mindset can significantly help you in hacking your happiness. For example, short genuine times with loved ones, family, friends, and even pets can have a significant impact on your joy and happiness.
There are, of course, rainy days! Remember that it’s okay if you have problems with your door. Face them with no fear and a positive attitude. And keep in mind how to hack happiness chemicals in times of need!
Stay happy and healthy, Lounger!
Send Me Healthcare Tips & VIP Freebies!
52Stirs.com respects your privacy. You may manage your subscription or unsubscribe anytime at your convenience.
Thank you for reading! If you like this content, please continue to support by hitting the like (star) icon, leaving comments, and sharing this post with your family and friends. Are you feeling kind and generous? You can buy me a coffee! Every coffee you buy will help me maintain this blog site. Again, thank you & praise God always! Xo, jeMiMa. ❤️
Leave a Reply