Everything has pros and cons. We get that. Thus, we always want to be transparent about everything that we are involved with. Particularly if we are talking about our health, knowing the pros and cons will help us decide.
3 Things I Hate the Most about Adenomyosis
#1. Severe period pain, cramps, and heavy periods
Okay. I have one medical word for this – Dysmenorrhea. I can’t even explain how painful it is when having monthly periods. I started experiencing terrible period pain back in 2018. During that time, it was associated with my cervix being inflamed and me having HPV 66. Until the year 2019, I was diagnosed to have Adenomyosis. My doctor explained that Adenomyosis is more likely why I have such horrible and heavy monthly periods.
She explained that severe period pain, cramps, and heavy periods are symptoms of Adenomyosis.
Tips to lessen and manage severe period pain, cramps, and heavy periods.
- Warm or Hot bath
- Avoid cold drinking water.
- Avoid caffeine and carbonated drinks a week before your period and during a monthly period
- Practice exercising, e.g., yoga, stretching, walking.
- Use hot pads
- Taking painkillers, e.g., mefenamic acid, Advil, Panadol
#2. Severe lower back pains
I think severe back pains are somewhat associated with period pains. There are times that I am not able to stand up properly, and I tend to get tired fast. I always try and do my best to out-think the pain, but once I feel it, it’s there! Right?! You can’t phantom anything magical or positive when experiencing severe back pains during a monthly period. So, I am irritated, quick to change moods, and impatient at this point.
Tip to lessen and manage severe lower back pains plus mood swings
- Remember tips for severe period pain, cramps, and heavy periods plus the following
- Communication – speak your feelings to people around you so they will know and understand
- Meditation – I choose to be alone and embrace silence
- Try mellow kinds of music
- Rest – take a good nap
#3. Taking Pills
With Adenomyosis, there are only three possible treatments. (1) Anti-inflammatory drugs, (2) Hormone medications, and (3) Hysterectomy. In my case, Hysterectomy is the very least option because this is a life-changing treatment. I am still hoping to be a biological parent; therefore, removing my uterus is not an option at this moment.
So, my doctor and I agreed to anti-inflammatory drugs (for example, mefenamic acid) and hormone medications. On the other hand, taking pills has several effects that need to be considered, especially if it’s long-term. Ultimately this is the reason why I hate taking pills, but it’s my only choice to manage my condition.
Here are the effects that I am experiencing due to taking pills:
- Loss of interest in sex
- Breast discomfort
- Nausea or headaches
- Possible complications to other illnesses like breast cancer, liver problems, bone damages
Here are things I do to battle the negative effects.
- Communication with my hubby, I have to let him know my intimate moment challenges. In this way, both of us can do some workarounds and still have some intimate moments together.
- If I’m at home, I don’t wear bras. If I need to wear bras, I normally make sure that I wear a size bigger than my size, so it loses a bit. Also, I wear adhesive nipple tapes.
- To avoid headaches and nausea, I always make sure to have a complete sleep and take power naps in between the day.
- Eating healthy as much as possible is my way to battle possible complications to other illnesses like breast cancer, liver problems, or bone damage. I also take supplements and vitamins. A regular check-up and bi-annual or annual physical exams are a must.
Yes. It’s not easy at all. But I think that’s how life it’s supposed to be. Balancing the pros and cons. Without challenges, there will be no adventure, thrill, and hope. Don’t be afraid to know and understand your body. My father always says that “our body is like soil, anything can grow in it.” It can be a good herb that is beneficial or a bad shrub that needs to be rooted and cut off.
Having Adenomyosis also taught me to strive hard and practice a healthy lifestyle as much as I can. It’s really hard, especially as several temptations are surrounding us! But, it’s in our control. If we long for longer life and adventure, then we have to fight, strive harder, and practice healthier living as much as we can! Stay safe and healthy, Lounger!
52Stirs.com respects your privacy. You may manage your subscription or unsubscribe anytime at your convenience.
Appreciate your time hugely! If you enjoy this content, please continue to support by clicking the like (star) icon, leaving comments, and sharing this post with your family and friends!
Your generosity is bliss in my heart! Your coffee treats will significantly help me in maintaining this blog site. Buy me a coffee here! You can also support us on Social: Facebook, Pinterest, and YouTube! See you there! – jeMiMa❤️